musings (201) fun Monday (76) friendship (64) K9 (13)

Thursday 18 April 2013

Reponsibility

Responsibility is something that is part and parcel of being a dog owner.
So today we went back to the vets.
Our usual one was off today and there was a choice of 2 people. One is new to veterinary medicine and to the practice. I've met her before and she seems nervous particularly when meeting large dogs. The other is someone who has met and treated our large male GSD without any qualms. Unfortunately the earliest appointment was 2 pm. Puppy needed to keep off any foods until seen by the vet (usual procedure when there's a tummy upset).
The rest of the staff tend to be very touchy-feely particularly where young cute animals are involved. There were oos and aahs when we came in and complimentary comments. The problem when one person came over the see the puppy and because of reticence said she'd get her some kibble and that it'd be fine. Very politely I explained why puppy had come to the vets and that she'd been nil by mouth. So when receptionist returned with some kibble, I had to again tell her 'no'. Here's me being the responsible owner but as for the receptionist? the mind boggles. 

So, puppy is on a rice and fish diet for the next few days and she has some anti-biotics to take. The rice and fish went down a treat. G the vet phoned to offer some more advice such as adding natural yogurt to the diet and something called pro-fibre. Next I'm going to see what I can find out from a vet-med site. Yes, our vets have the stuff in stock but I dread to think what the price might be. Using a UK site I can order and receive some K9 products postage free and at lower price than from the vets.
Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Sayre said...

Poor baby... still with the "dire-rear"? I hope the fish and rice do the trick. I rarely buy stuff directly from the vet - too expensive! But our fur babies need to be cared for just as well as our skin babies, so we do what needs to be done.

Joy said...

Definitely wishing you good luck!

J x

joanygee said...

Thank you both (smile). Fur baby is much improved today, I'm happy to report. Fingers crossed it continues.

Faye said...

The things we're willing to do for puppy love--or love of a puppy! Hope your girl is right as rain real soon, Joan.

joanygee said...

Thank you Faye, she's fit and well now.