musings (201) fun Monday (76) friendship (64) K9 (13)

Saturday 15 October 2016

The more qualified the tutor, the more impractical the person

At present I'm a student with the Open University. Over the decades they have built up a good reputation. Sadly the 'organisation' is now an omnishambles (what a lovely word). An alternative would be the American expression fubar which involves swear words. Suffice it to say, the OU has become effed-up beyond all recognition.

For many years I've been interested in accessibility of educational materials. Even in the 1970s we learnt how to make displays of educational materials. They had to be eye-catching yet legible and clear to read. Jump forward to now and to my mind the same should apply to on-line materials which in truth are easier to construct and to produce.

Imagine the frustration when having succeeded in joining an on-line tutorial it descends in to death by PowerPoint. I complained as the slides were difficult to read. Then, today the same tutor chose

Adding insult to injury, the screen was crammed with small print in black / navy-blue.

Then there were info sheets taken from a book as in clipped using the original tiny font.  Typically, I'd spent time yesterday making properly accessible copies for myself. It grieved me to see others struggling with the tutor's version.



No comments: