musings (201) fun Monday (76) friendship (64) K9 (13)

Saturday 31 January 2009

following trains of thought

itsmee wanted to know about visiting to Iceland.

Studying geosciences led me to membership of OUGS Open University Geology Society. Ever since I first studied geology at school, the place I wanted to visit was Iceland. It became my trip of a lifetime, my must do, I had to find some way to get there.

Reading a fiction book [insert details here] which described Iceland's scenery and a journey across it's wild interior, fuelled my intention to visit 'sometime'.

The opportunity arose when OUGS organised a field trip and I hastened to claim a place.
So, I flew from Manchester to Glasgow, met up with the rest of the group and had the happy experience of flying (Icelandair) to Reykjavik.

We had expert tuition from a retired prof of Geology who, having spent years in Iceland, had a network of Icelandic friends and contacts. Travelled by coach with Jan (driver) and a cook.
It was a great set-up. The idea being to make an economical journey visiting the sights without overspending. We split into teams of four, each taking a turn to help the cook with the catering.

Travelling the Golden route in the reverse direction to the usual tourist trips and staying in a series of varied accommodation ranging from guest house to community halls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just looked your photos! What incredible landscapes! When I was younger, I guess we always looked for places where the sun would shine and now, I think I'm too old!

wendishness said...

Awesome pics, and a great place to visit by the sounds of things, I'd expect it would be really expensive to travel there from here though.