musings (201) fun Monday (76) friendship (64) K9 (13)

Friday 30 January 2009

Fun Monday - The Lurchers

So for Fun Monday on 2nd February, firstly tell me what book you are reading now. What's it about? Are you enjoying it and why? If not, why not?

And secondly, if you were to be stranded on a desert island, what one book would you take with you.

Now this is a meme I can truly relate to

Memories are made of this?
Thinking back many moons to when I was in the lower sixth and thoroughly enjoying learning.

The desert island topic was set by English lit teacher
I was given A- and although 'happy' with the A could not understand the minus attached to it. Still to this day I do not know why it was A-
Scoured the prose and couldn't find anywhere a place that lost marks.

Typically, happiness marred by *what if?*

The set of books that inspired me now and still do?
Tolkien
Lord of the Rings

First read about the age of 12 and still returned to often.

Another memory surfaces

Being at a Grammar school there were competitions that we were expected to take part in
One of which was
*Spoken English*
A total 'no-no' for the likes of me with a then broad Lancashire accent
However, the first class reading (individual) was chosen by Miss Kippax
Anita and I grinned broadly when we saw it...
why?
Because it was none other then the opening paragraphs from 'The Fellowship of the Ring' by J R R Tolkien
Words we both knew by heart having already become so familiar with them.

Fast forward in time to the release of the first of the LOTR films, and Nita n I watching in the cinema, unable to control ourselves from quoting word for word as the film unfolded the story.

Am reading two books, not one.

Barack Obama (President)

Terry Pratchett (Disc world)

2 comments:

wendishness said...

Reading is great, wish I had time to do more!

joanygee said...

You will, one day I'm sure.