musings (201) fun Monday (76) friendship (64) K9 (13)

Wednesday 3 November 2010

on two sides of the pond

November 8 - Tell us about your Thanksgiving Day meal.  Do you have your menu planned?  Do you have the traditional turkey dinner, or go a bit more non-traditional?  What is your favorite go-to dish for Thanksgiving?  Any recipes you'd like to share?

Wishing my US click on the mouse friends a 
'Very Happy Thanksgiving'. 
Hope you all have a lovely time!


"He (the turkey) is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."
--Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to his daughter


First Thanksgiving 
Looking into the FM topic, I surfed the Web and found the 'Pilgrim Hall Museum'
Thank you, Julie for setting the topic.
I had a vague idea that Thanksgiving is a time for celebration, for gathering family together...
Now, I'm better informed and know a little of the rich history associated with the fourth Thursday in November. 


English memorable dates in November

5th Guy Fawkes

27th Nov Lancashire Day


Red Rose of Lancashire


The red rose symbol dates from the
Wars of the Roses
Series of battles fought between Yorkshire (white rose) and Lancashire (red rose) for the throne of England 1445 - 1487


As for turkey dinner?
Nowadays, over here, it's eaten on Christmas Day, and other family occasions.


How could I omit November 11th 

11th hour

of the

11th Day

of the

11th month...

Remembrance Day...and two minutes silence


The soldier in WW1 uniform, head bowed and rifle reversed stands watchful over the town.


"At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them"


So, earlier today (11th Nov.) the country came to a standstill to observe the Silence.
In London, at the Cenotaph they observed the Silence for the 90th year.


8 comments:

Sayre said...

Thanksgiving, in its original form was a harvest celebration. However, because of our treatment of the indigenous people afterwards (genocide) I feel a little strange celebrating it in its original form. I look on Thanksgiving nowadays as a personal day of giving thanks for all the blessing in my life and in that of my family.

joanygee said...

Hi Sarah thanks for stopping by. Seems I still have a lot more to learn about Thanksgiving.

Faye said...

There's a lot of myths associated with our Thanksgiving history, I'm sure but it's still my favorite holiday. I was listening to some English music in honor of Guy Fawkes Day and thinking that your dogs must hate that time like ours do July 4th for all the fireworks. BTW, I share Prince Charles' birthday on Nov. 14. When I taught in the West Indies on a formerly English island, had a holiday on my birthday. Always sent him a little thanks for getting out of school!

Teri said...

I agree with Sayre.

It was nice of you to take the time to learn about our custom ...do you have something similar?

joanygee said...

Hi Faye, I wonder which music you were listening to? The only firework music I can think of was by Handel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_for_the_Royal_Fireworks

Hi Teri and welcome! The nearest we get to Thanksgiving would be Christmas, tho' church groups usually celebrate Harvest with a festival in Church and an evening meal for the parishioners.

Thankfully, thro' the valiant efforts of both the Police and Fire Services, Guy Fawkes fireworks are becoming less troublesome.

Qtswede said...

I love your photos ... rememberance day sounds fantastic. I think Americans forget about things like that far too often, just because the battle wasn't in our own backyard.
Our family celebrates Thanksgiving just as it sounds - a day to remember to be thankful for all that we have. As far as the history of Thanksgiving, it's tainted anyhow. We celebrate Leif Eriksson Day. ;) Columbus was a hack. lol

Living Life said...

I always enjoy stopping by your blog, as I always learn something new!!

Your new blog header is gorgeous!

BTW, thank you for your kind words and for sending virtual hugs my way in regards to the passing of my uncle.

joanygee said...

Glad you like the Autumn header. I enjoy seeing wonderful Fall colours here and photos of them in the US.