musings (201) fun Monday (76) friendship (64) K9 (13)

Sunday 22 August 2010

Ísland!

Where was I five years ago n the 23rd April 2005? How could I have forgotten!
An early morning drive to the airport and flight to Glasgow, met up with the rest of the group. Boarded our Iceland Air flight and sped to Reykjavik!
Colourful Icelandic houses, lowering black clouds...lollipop shaped globes (lighting).

(OUGS) Open University Geology Society. So, no Blue Lagoon for us (smile); but a personal tour of the modern geothermal power station.



Thus began our field trip of Iceland, following part of the Golden Route, but in reverse. Strange to see a lighthouse on a hill, miles inland from the coast. Until you realise that being Iceland, whose geology and geography change constantly, lava flows had made the new land between the lighthouse and the coast...
One of our group was a most daring photographer!

Our journey continued...

5 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

Wow looks and sounds like a very interesting trip. I was most likely hanging around our neck of the woods on this day 5 years ago.

Faye said...

I'm so glad to see your photos of Iceland, Joangee. I'm planning a trip to Scandinavia next spring and hoping I can afford Iceland as well. Seems a shame to not go since so close. I've become interested in Sweden especially since watching Wallander on BBC and reading the Kurt Wallander Mysteries by Henning Mankell.

joanygee said...

At first, I guessed 5 years ago was same old, same old! I had to look thro' my photos as I'd forgotten exactly when I went to Iceland! Oops!
Thoroughly recommend you go there Faye, but there's so much to see, like me you might find yourself hankering after another visit!
Lovely to hear from you both (smile).

Gattina said...

I have never been there, my son and DIL were there last year and found it so beautiful.
5 years ago I was in a deep black hole and struggled to get out of it. I really have no good memories of this time of my life. But since 2006 I purr like an old cat, lol !

joanygee said...

Hello Gattina Thanks for visiting. Sorry 5 years ago was a bad time for you. Good to know things have improved so much. Yes, Iceland is a wonderful place to visit. The landscape is truly stunning.