musings (201) fun Monday (76) friendship (64) K9 (13)

Friday 31 December 2010

Time for reflection and expectation

new years non~animated

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:
“Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.”
And he replied:
“Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God.
That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.”
(excerpt)Minnie Louise Haskins 1875 – 1957 God Knows, from a collection, The Desert, First published in 1908. Part of George VI broadcast 1939

These words sum up my feelings as another year ends and a new one approaches.

Dark days dwindle into the past; taking with them friends who are no more...
Each year Christmas and birthday cards become fewer...tempus fugit. But I shall not turn this post into maudlin memories. Far better to concentrate on new beginnings...

I finally summoned up the courage to attempt studies at level 3 with the Open University. 'In for a penny, in for a pound'! 60 points to be gained hopefully.

Unlike years ago I shall not party my way into the New Year...but treat myself to some Irish Whiskey whilst watching Jools Holland host his 18th annual special.
new years non~animated

I'm hoping there won't be too many loud bangs from fireworks as the younger dog doesn't like them.


new years banners

2 comments:

Sayre said...

Happy New Year!!! My animals aren't fond of the bangs either so we always stay home. And these days, we also go to bed early!

Faye said...

Good watchwords for the new year, Joan. I's always exciting to start a fresh one regardless of how well we've used the last one!

Good luck with your studies in the new year. He who learns never grows old! And all the best to you and yours--two and four legged--in 2011.