musings (201) fun Monday (76) friendship (64) K9 (13)

Saturday 2 June 2012

Here's a health...






"Here's a health to the (King) Queen and a lasting peace,
To faction an end, to wealth increase;
Come, let us drink it while we have breath,
For there's no drinking after death;
And he who will this health deny,
Down among the dead men let him lie.



Let charming beauty's health go round,
In whom celestial joys are found,
And may confusion still pursue
The senseless woman-hating crew;
And they that woman's health deny,
Down among the dead men let him lie.

In smiling Bacchus' joys I'll roll,
Deny no pleasure to my soul;
Let Bacchus' health round briskly move,
For Bacchus is a friend to love;
And he that will this health deny,
Down among the dead men let him lie.

May love and wine their rites maintain,
And their united pleasures reign,
While Bacchus' treasure crowns the board,
We'll sing the joys that both afford,
And he that won't with us comply,
Down among the dead men let him lie."




A North Country maid up to London had strayed
Although with her nature it did not agree,
Oh she wept and she sighed and so bitterly cried,
How I wish once again in the North I could be.

  Oh the Oak and the Ash and the bonnie ivy tree,
  They flourish at home in my own country.


I like not the court, nor the city resort,
Since there is no fancy for such maids as me;
Their pomp and their pride I can never abide,
Because with my humour it does not agree.


Oh the Oak and the Ash and the bonnie ivy tree,
  They flourish at home in my own country.



No comments: