musings (201) fun Monday (76) friendship (64) K9 (13)

Tuesday 23 February 2010

White rabbits!!!

only cos FM next time is on March 1st

Dearest wendishness our hostess says

Your mission, should you choose to accept it is as follows….

1. What memories do you have of your school years at any stage of your education?

2. Did you keep in touch with your friends who were there with you in your formative years, or perhaps you lost touch as I did and are finding them again? Tell us about some of your school friends.

You don’t have to go into detail, you can if you want to add as much detail as you’re comfortable with, photos are optional but you know most of us love photos


My memory banks are patchy but there are a number remaining from school days and before.
Nursery school - my coat hook had an umbrella picture! No I've no idea why this memory stuck; perhaps because the symbol denoted my outdoor clothes?
Days when in winter gloves were attached to a length of elastic threaded down the sleeves of your coat to stop them being lost.
But the friend I have known the longest was part of those days. My mind pictures us on the swings, roundabouts and slides in the Castle grounds. Yes, Castle you have not misread anything.

My home town has a castle, a Norman keep (motte).

Clitheroe-Castle

After WWI the castle and grounds became the town's war memorial.


But, I digress...the lower part of the Castle grounds had/has a children's playground.

Today's safety conscious society would be appalled by the playground my friend n I visited so often. With candle-wax smeared on the slides to make us go faster! I still bear the scars on my knees from hurtling off the slide into the cinder surround.

So, longest friendship lasted all the way thro' school days; and continues. But a couple of years ago there was a fright! She went into hospital, had an operation and was lucky to survive. She became even more poorly under hospital 'care' than when she went in. Her stay in hospital had a negative impact on her health.

Next longest belongs to grammar school days and also continues. This is the person with whom I also celebrated milestone birthdays.

What's friendship? Two people who tho' not kin are akin in thoughts words and actions?

Even today when we meet up; others ask and we reply that each is the sister the other never had.
Confusing?
Yes until people get used to it.
Even close family have difficulty telling us apart when hearing our conversations as each finishes the other's sentence and seems to know without words what the other's thinking.


Strange coincidence, three people linked by friendship and shared experience (school days); in the same form for 5 years. Our mother's all had the same Christian name.

Thank you Wendy, for passing on this quote...
"Good friends are like stars... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there." Anon

Strange to think that all of the people I was friends with at college, not one has survived the test of time...

7 comments:

Faye said...

Your post reminds me of another saying about friendship: "we can't choose our family members, but we can our friends". What good memories you have of primary school friends and shared adventures. Lucky little girls to get to play on castle grounds--and later tell tales of skinned knees and good times there.

Jan n Jer said...

I love that quote...Thanks for sharing your friendship story with us.

joanygee said...

Thank you both for stopping by to read my 'musings' *smile*

Sayre said...

Most inspectors would be horrified at the equipment we played on as children! I've noticed that there are no merry-go-rounds anymore. That makes me sad.

What lovely memories you have!

My post is finally up. Crazy weekend, crazy day.

Living Life said...

I remember using candle wax on our sleds to go faster down the hills!

Sounds like you had some great friendships! Happy FM!

Matthew Shoemaker said...

thats interesting mine was completely opposite, only real friends stuck were from college

wendishness said...

What a great trip down memory lane, I define my closest friends as sisters too, especially those from school days.

You're so lucky to have kept in with a couple of friends like that, I've always felt like I've had a void in my life because mine weren't there to share my adult life and vice versa.

Dad, about three years ago stumbled across an old friend he knew when he was young on the internet, and it's like they were transported back to that same friendship, only now as adults.